Thursday, January 25, 2007

Taking a Look at Bill Richardson

Chris Crain blogs on New Mexico Governor and Democratic presidential candidate Bill Richardson's pro-gay record. Among other things:

  • He signed legislation expanding New Mexico civil rights laws to include sexual orientation and gender identity. (At the time, only three other states had included transgender protections.)
  • He signed an executive order in 2003 extending health insurance and other benefits to the same-sex domestic partners of N.M. state employees.
  • He's on record backing full-fledged civil unions and (unlike John Kerry) opposes state-level constitutional amendments banning gays from marrying.
  • While in Congress, Richardson backed military service for out gay men and lesbians. That means, unlike Al Gore, John Kerry, John Edwards, Hillary and the rest, he was anti-Don't Ask, Don't Tell when it was very uncool to be.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

If I were to make this a one issue election, Bill Richardson would get my vote. Being somewhat uneducated on the potential candidate's positions on issues, I thank you for informing me of Richardson's integrity. And since I don't know his position on other issues, but based on that one I think he would fall in line with my beliefs on the direction of this country needs to take. Great for him and I believe it makes him a very honorable man. But, can he realistically win? I heard that was the position that many Democrats take on any candidate....Iraq, the environment, social beliefs, one of those could be your #1 issue and how you decide to vote, but CAN HE/SHE WIN? Unfortunate as I think it is, that has to be #1a.