Monday, April 16, 2007

The Draper

The Draper was at the gym tonight(See this entry for an intro to the characters at my gym). He was using the same equipment I needed to use and was in the way. I usually don't like to ask to "work in" because I'm impatient and I don't like waiting but I'm also usually conscientious and I don't want the other guy to think I'm trying to rush him.

Since I was working out right before band rehearsal, I had no choice. There he was, draped over the bench, reading his magazine (Runner's World, if you can believe it). "Um, mind if I work in?" I asked.

You'd have thought I'd asked him to let me cut off his left nut with a rusty butter knife from the look he gave me. When he grudgingly got up I realized I was asking him to make three additional movements between sets...get up, stand and get back down. It's probably the most he's ever moved at the gym.

After his last set, as I was doing mine, he plopped himself down on the machine I wanted to use next. I gave up and hit the showers.

No comments: