Saturday, April 14, 2007

Killing Two Dreams with One Concert

This June I'll be conducting DCDD's Captitol Pride Symphonic Band (at left on tour in New Hampshire last year) at the Kennedy Center.

To conduct at the Ken Cen (actually, any major concert hall) is a lifelong dream.

I'll also be conducting the symphonic band and the Gay Men's Chorus of Washington.

We're guests of the GMCW for their June concert and we have a 30 minute set opening the concert. Then we do two joint pieces, "When You Believe" from "The Prince of Egypt" (you probably know it from the Mariah Carey version) and Randall Thomson's "Testament of Freedom."

I'm conducting the "When You Believe" number in addition to our opening set.

A small minded person a few years ago leveled a charge against me that I'd rather conduct a chorus than a band.

That's not worthy of a resonse, but I will say that I can't imagine any conductor not being thrilled with the opportunity to conduct the large and varied forces offered by a 70-piece symphonic band and a 200 strong voiced choir in a world class concert hall. Not to mention the fact that I love the music from the Prince of Egypt (same composer who gave us "Wicked").

The version we're doing with the GMCW is more faithful to the movie version than Mariah Carey's. That version follows.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sounds awesome! Congratulations!

Anonymous said...

Yeah, congratulations! Sorry to nitpick, but the version you're talking about, and also the video posted, is by both Mariah AND Whitney Houston. I am not a big fan of either of the two, and I believe I will like the 'closer to the true original' version that you will be conducting more than the overblown pop version. I hope to make your concert this June!!