Sunday, April 15, 2007

Meet the People at My Gym

Some of the people at my gym (a sports club chain) are interesting characters. Here are a few of them, given nicknames to protect the culpable.

The Draper: I hate this guy. He drapes himself across the equipment in long intervals between sets. He's usually reading a magazine or a memo. A few times I've almost checked his pulse to make sure but then he slowly turns a page before sagging back on what he must view as his own personal barca lounger with weights.

Coach Hissy Fit: This is a personal trainer who seems to delight in making his clients look ridiculous. His trade mark is to make his victims inhale and exhale with a hissing sound that emulates a boiling teapot and reverberates around the weight room. He's also loud and fussy, hence the nickname. He tends to also fixated on the LTR and makes it a point to provide gratuitous criticisms of the LTR which annoys the LTR. He does seem to be really involved in his training sessions, though, unlike many of the personal trainers at the club, who should probably be called impersonal trainers.

The Exhibitionist: He's around my age, of mixed ethnicity, Asian and Caucasian. He likes to parade around the locker room without a towel and will stand at the sink to blow dry his hair and pubic hair. He's toned, good shape, average, cut (hey, he walks around naked all the time so I've had ample opportunity to get the 411). He tends to hang out in the dry sauna a bit.

Shy Boy: In contrast to the Exhibitionist, Shy Boy won't be caught with his pants down -- literally. He wraps a towel around his waist to remove or replace his underwear (boxers). I've never understood this -- I suppose he's trying to be discrete but it only calls attention to himself. What's he afraid of? What's he hiding?

Mr. Popularity: This guy knows everyone in the gym by name and usually has the dirt on them (he certainly has it on Coach Hissy Fit). He's a competitive weight lifter and he's fun to work out with but the constant distractions of people engaging him in conversation can be frustrating to someone who likes to move quickly and efficiently though their workout. I know this, because Mr. Popularity is the LTR.

And there there is Sack Man, a former prominent Republican Party official who likes to hang out in the wet sauna with one leg propped up under him exposing two low hangers.

And finally, the Monk, an older gentleman with a Friar Tuck like hair style. Unfortunately he's decided to dye his hair instead of letting it go a dignified gray (ahem!) -- it's a faux red that, with his ruddy complexion and skin problems doesn't enhance his looks. All the time he spends working the sauna doesn't help.

4 comments:

Lars-Erik said...

Wet "sauna" ?!? It's called a steam room. Sauna is about the only word exported from the Finnish language. Steam rooms are not saunas.

Scott said...

Thanks for the correction, I'll be more careful in the future. Nothing to get steamed about.

Dash said...

haha . . I loved your character sketches . I'm working on some of my own.

Maybe you to go my gym - but I know I never have my clients hissing . .haha

Anonymous said...

These are really funny!

I don't spend much time in the locker room at my gym, but it seems like most women are more modest than some of these characters.

Or maybe if I hung around there longer I could come up with a list of my own..