Tuesday, April 10, 2007

Take Back Our Streets

In DC, I've heard it's illegal to honk your car horn except for safety reasons. If true, that's a revenue source for the city far more lucrative than parking violations.

Do all the people who've been behind me at intersections who start honking really want me to run over the pedestrians in the crosswalk to make my turn (oh -- maybe they're off duty DC bus drivers?).

I've started telling cabbies this: First, I give my destination, then I say, "and if you honk for anything other than safety reasons, there will be no tip." So far, it's worked.

1 comment:

Matty said...

OH BOY! You know I am with you on this one! I am a firm believer that abusers of the car horn should be ticketed. In extreme cases, perhaps even hung or burned at the stake! Beeping while I am waiting for a ped to cross... beeping because - god forbid - I am following the speed limit in town rather than go about 50...

I like your system, and the next time I take a cab, I am giving it a try.