Saturday, November 24, 2007

Meet Cooper

I've been thinking about adding Cooper's Corridor to the Scoot-O-Verse for some months but have shied away from it because, well, I am not worthy.

Cooper is "Just a gay man of the woods living in Northern BC ... father of two wonderful adopted sons, ardent naturalist, ecologist, a passionate lover of the earth's wild and hidden places." He is part native Ojibway and that heritage seems to instruct his life and his thinking. At least, that's the way it seems to this European-American.

I've hesitated linking to him because Scott's Take is so, well, crass. And political. And sometimes just about beefcake. Okay, I'm not going to apologize for the politics or the beefcake but the paths we walk here are ground glass to the soft leaves at Cooper's Corner. Which is not to suggest that Cooper doesn't have his struggles or pain. And certainly not to suggest that the gentler way of Cooper isn't strong. I am someone who has thrown a lot of sharp elbows in life, and I sense he has not, and I also get he is the stronger one.

Okay, I may be a little in love with him, but not in a romantic sense...in some ways his is the life I wish I could live.

Years ago I penned a poem about a camping trip I took in the Shenandoah, which included these lines:

The deer dance in the darkness
Their elvish eyes aglow.
And in my dreams I fancy
I'm dancing with the doe.

And ended with this:

My heart lies heavy with the thought -
This source of many ills:
My home is in the city;
But my heart lies in the hills.

There are many posts of Cooper's I could link to show you what I mean, but tonight this one touched me. I think there is a lot I could learn from him.

So, spend some time in the Corridor. You'll be a better person for it.

6 comments:

Steven said...

Cooper has ALWAYS been a great read, and a great source of wisdom and reflection. Don't worry about not feeling worthy enough to list him on your blogroll. I have always believed blogrolls say a lot about the blogger who creates that blogroll. I wouldn't doubt that there are many facets of Cooper in you as well, Scott.

Anonymous said...

I jumped over and checked out Cooper and found it amazing. I'll be checking back this week and continuing to read him regularly. Thanks for the heads up about him being out there!


-C

Anonymous said...

I know this is an older post, but just so you know, Cooper (of Cooper's Corridor and Nico's Niche) is guilty of plagurizing Kate of sweetsalty.

sweetsalty kate said...

You might want to "meet Cooper" again... sorry to have to share this with you, I know it's distressing. It sure as heck was distressing to me.

http://www.sweetsalty.com/sweetsalty/2008/7/23/the-sincerest-form-of-flattery-in-coopernico-land.html

Anonymous said...

Cooper is a plagiarist and is now being exposed for the thief he is. The great writer is Kate Inglis at www.sweetsalty.com. Check out the post:

http://www.sweetsalty.com/sweetsalty/2008/7/23/the-sincerest-form-of-flattery-in-coopernico-land.html

TR Ryan said...

There is no Nicky Cooper -- "he" is a 52 year old Canadian woman that made the whole thing up and plagiarized other people's writing.

We were all in love with Cooper in some way, once. You can get the whole story at www.joemygod.blogspot.com