Wednesday, November 28, 2007

Underwear and Bike Shorts

The Friday Fashionista has gone into hibernation (rumor has it he's working for a living) but I just got a fashion tip (well -- clothing advice) from another friend:


You aren't supposed to wear underwear with bike shorts.

I did not know this. I recently made the switch to Lycra bike clothing. In the past I've worn shorts or in colder weather long johns and sweats. But now with a longer winter commute and the problems of wind and rain and the length of time it takes all that cloth to dry, I decided to try form fitting Lycra.

But the hot helpful employee at City Bikes, whom I consulted with, failed to tell me with bike shorts you go commando. This, according to the Web site Bike Maintenance:

Bicycle shorts are not used with underwear because that would defeat the
advantages
.


Well, I didn't know. And since bike shorts cost a lot more than regular shorts, I sure don't want to defeat the advantages. So -- if you see me on the bike trail, rest assured I'll be living free and easy!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

If I ever run into you in your bike shorts, pardon my rudeness if I don't make eye contact!

Scott said...

I'm not sure how to interpert that comment...

GuyDads said...

Going commando may be fine if you are riding to the nearest "Whole Foods" or "Starbucks" and parading your assets around in your bike shorts. I’ve done many long distance rides in a day as well as week long rides (one down the Oregon coast, another from Vienna to Prague). Highly recommend padded bike briefs. Your butt will love you for it.

Anonymous said...

hehe..never wanted anyone to know how to interpret that one!!!

Matty said...

I am no expert on bike shorts. I understand the practical application for riding to and from work, or in biking events. Furthermore, I have an appreciation for the padded items you wear to save your bum over the long haul. Those seats are unforgiving.

I am not sure I would be parading around anywhere though in spandex without underwear. I know I could find something small enough that would work.

My immediate thought is, you are going to ear boxers under your spandex. But there are small briefs that can hold things better and not give a free show to all those around you. I mean hell, I may even consider an athletic supporter. But not commando in spandex. If that is wrong, I don't care. Call me provincial.