Wednesday, December 12, 2007

My Tips for Minimizing Weight Gain During the Holidays

Key word here is "minimizing" -- you can't eat crap you don't normally eat and work out less and not gain weight. The key for me is finding a way to enjoy holiday eats while still controlling it in some way. Here's what I do, it seems to work for me:

Do Something: I spend Christmas with my parents -- which means I miss out on my daily cycling. But I find ways to exercise -- like walking in the morning and after dinner. Find a way to get some exercise, even if it's only minimal.

Only Cheat with the Best: You're going to go off your diet, but make it worth it. I'd rather have an extra piece of my mom's Pumpkin Pie instead of a Frosteeze from 7-11. I'd rather enjoy my mother-in-laws oyster stuffing instead of McDonald's Chicken McNuggets. In other words, don't go for easy calories. Go for the best calories.

Snack Healthy: Don't reach for a cookie or fudge between meals (even though my mom makes mouth-orgasmic tasting peanut butter fudge). Have an apple instead.

Portion Control: Keeping your portion sizes reasonable is good advice at all times. It's especially true during the holidays. I will do something at my mom's I would not do at home: have a sweet with every meal. However, I limit it to one.

Binge Last: If I do all the above, I will relax these rules on the last day or so of my stay. Knowing that I'll let myself eat more fudge and cookies at the end of my visit helps me maintain discipline and keep from eating that way during my entire stay. Which I would if I let myself.


I've found if I follow these rules I can keep my weight gain to around a pound. Which will come off pretty quick once you start back on your regular diet.

Anyone have other suggestions?

No comments: