Sunday, December 30, 2007

Random Things

One of the perks of having a kid when flying -- other than getting to preboard (if sitting in a small tube sooner can be considered a "perk") is getting to go into the cockpit. If I can get Eli to say "hi" or "thanks" to the Captain either before or after the flight it's a shoe-in. Even in the post-9/11 world. BTW, those cockpits look surprisingly 1970s in their technology. So do most of the pilots.

We have a new ghost at home. I think I've talked about our unseen resident here before; yesterday morning at about 4:30 am in the kitchen I heard someone (I presumed the LTR) walking in the kitchen behind me and "felt" somone walk in and heard a mumbled "Mornin'" and turned around to see no one -- and the sense that someone had come ambling in was so strong that I called out the LTR's name thinking he had to be there -- only he wasn't. I guess a mumbled "mornin'" is much better than a whispered emphatic "get out!"

I got a guest pass from the gym down the street here. It's called 24 Hour Fitness. I asked them what was the most common question they got from visitors. It was "what are your hours?" As I expected.

Said gym is on the second floor. The only way to get there is to take a moving escalator up to it. I guess they don't want you to wear yourself out before getting there.

I saw a beautiful, unexpected thing tonight. I went to the 6 pm hula show on the beach expecting to be repulsed by something so touristy (okay, okay, full disclosure, I went to get a photo of the loin-cloth-clad polynesian young men lighting the torches). Instead I was mesmerized by the Hula as performed by the "elders" -- a group of 60ish something Polynesian women joyfyully doing the Hula -- in this case a dance representing the natural beatuy of the island of Kuaii. The host admonished us for not applauding them enough and stressed that these were the (tribe's?) elders. They were all beautiful -- but the oldest looking one was stunning -- she had a smile on her face framed by gray hair and wrinkles that radiated joy and beauty. We shove our "elders" out of sight but here they were celebrating beauty by being beautiful -- and their age was no small part of their appeal. It's too bad the Hula has come to be considered tourist shlock for it is an amazingly beautiful dance that links humanity and nature.

Speaking of tourist shlock I bought a Greg Brady Hawaiian Tiki Idol. As someone who now seems to have two ghosts in his house we'll see what happens next.

Surf's up!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I agree, whether a ghost or a psychotic episode at least it's with a gratuitous attitude that it presents itself!

As for the pilots and flight crew...whatever happened to the young hot studs being on board a plane working? I see very few desirable guys as employees of the airlines anymore.

As for the hula, and any other native North American groups culture and dances; they are beautiful and I always enjoy seeing the real ting opposed to the Hollywood/media version of their cultures.

Sounds as though your trip is going wonderfully... can't wait to hear more!

-C

Cardinal said...

I love ghost stories.*

*In the middle of the day, with lots of people around and a crucifix in close proximity.

Anonymous said...

Oh, I dunno. There was a flight attendant on the Denver-to-Chicago leg of my flight home from Portland last October who was definitely hot. And I think he batted for our team, too. Don't see too many flight crew members I'd consider hunky, but I'm envious that you've got a prop that gets you in to look at the cockpits, Scott. I've always wanted to get a look in there.

Cardinal said...

Musing85, you know Scott's referring to the area at the nose of the plane when he said he visited the cockpit, right? I, too, like to look at cockpits.

Anonymous said...

Very funny, Zac. Just for that, I'll have to see about putting a curse on all your holy water just before somebody tells you a particularly good ghost story.

Scott said...

The LTR has a story about a flight attendant on a recent flight -- but you'll have to find his blog to hear about it.

Zac -- I guess you will never stay with me -- Holy Water boils away when I carry it over the threshold into my house. I've tried.

Scott said...

The LTR has a story about a flight attendant on a recent flight -- but you'll have to find his blog to hear about it.

Zac -- I guess you will never stay with me -- Holy Water boils away when I carry it over the threshold into my house. I've tried.