Tuesday, February 26, 2008

An Old Friend Falters

She always loved to run. A mixed cocker spaniel and golden retriever, she would sprint back and forth across the yard, a blur of blonde fur.

We would go hiking, and she would race ahead on the trail, then come running back at full throttle, rounding us before heading out again, as if to say "come on, slowpokes, there's a whole world ahead of us!"

Horses, other dogs, bear scat, hornets nests she stumbled into or deep water she fell in left her spirit undeterred.

Not so age.

On a hike during Labor Day two years ago she seemed slower than usual. Slowness gave way to fatigue. Fatigue led to collapse. We had to carry her out. Arthritis now choked her bones. She was 13 years old, after all.

Other things began to change too. She used to sleep in bed with us. For whatever reason, she began sleeping on floor instead. Then that changed and she didn't want to leave the first floor at night. She used to, when I worked at home, lay at my feet in my second floor office. Then the stairs got to be too much for her.

Yesterday morning I called to her and her younger "brother" to go for our morning walk. For the first time in her life, she refused. She looked at me, leash in hand, raised her muzzle, then settled her head back down on her paws and sighed -- no walk today.

It is the way of things, to grow slow and lame, to fail. Yet ebbing fire still fights the cold. She still has some good days left in her, but they would seem few in number.

I dread the coming loss of a dear friend. But in my heart's eye, I will always see that joyful rush of fur and paw, forever on the trail, a trail leading -- everywhere.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

My lab is 9 years old this year and has slowed her pace down significantly in the last year. I never dreamed one animal could desire to bring so much happiness to life for the people she encounters.

My dad, who has always hated dogs, fell in love with Bella as she responds to his scolding her by jumping flat footed off the ground to like him in the face. He then uses a string of vile profanity that makes one fear for Bella until you see the smile on his face.

Our dogs are our family too; as with children there are no bad dogs, just bad parents.

Thanks for sharing,
-C

Anonymous said...

Our lab mix is only 5 and full of happiness and love, but somehow through the pain of losing our last lab mix 6 years ago, we ocassionally talk of the difficultly dealing with the enivitable future that lies ahead. Your narrative is a beautiful tribute to your dog and I too thank you for sharing. It is a difficult time I'm sure and I share in your sorrow.

Anonymous said...

Sorry to hear of the aging of your best friend...having had to put down two of my 3 old dogs this year its not a fun process, but it is one that they look to us to help them "cross over the rainbow bridge" where they can romp around again and will wait for us to join them...big hugs and give her an extra treat tonight!

Anonymous said...

From anonymous#1 to anonymous#2 - that comment about helping our pets "cross over the rainbow bridge" is very moving. Our dogs are seemingly always in a constant mode of waiting....waiting for the next scratch, the next meal, the next treat, but mostly waiting for us to return to be with them. I can imagine my first dog over that bridge doing exactly what you describe and it brings tears to my eyes as I write this.

Anonymous said...

Rainbows Bridge is a poem written about pet loss and has helped many people. I can never read it without crying.. particularly the version written later about those that cross over who have been involved with pet rescue or shelter dog owners like me. the link for the site/poem is: http://rainbowsbridge.com/Poem.htm

Anonymous said...

anonymous#2 - thanks for that link. I hold people who help and rescue animals in the highest regard. Our dogs have all been rescue dogs. There are none better. It is as if they know you saved their lives and they are forever grateful.

There is a current commercial out by Pedigree featuring a dog named Echo as part of their adoption program. My heart sank when I saw it because the story and images are so true. This is not an endorsement, but bravo to Pedigree for their committment and drive to find homes for animals.

Anonymous said...

This is the commercial -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ODC5e3AEa8&feature=related

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Scott said...

This has been one of the best exchanges in comments on my blog. Thank you to all who have posted.

the two deleted comments were comment spam.