Monday, January 01, 2007

Holiday Highlights

Won't bore you all with the details of the last nine days, but some highlights:

1) Hearing my 27-month old son say "Merry Christmas, Daddy" for the first time
2) Having my own father hug me hello and goodbye -- this from a man not known for displays of affection
3) Seeing my niece, 14, at the cusp between being a girl and being a young woman. This one was a little bittersweet as I will miss the girl...but I look forward to seeing her blossom.
4) The realization that the one thing about Christmas that hasn't changed since I was a little boy is that my mom's home baked cookies taste just as good as they did 35 years ago.
5) Last and not least -- nine uninterrupted days with the LTR, the last four of which were spent in a cozy mountain cabin in the Blue Ridge. Great memories from that time -- a 12.5 mile hike, great conversation, snacks in front of the fire, great food prepared by his hand and the warm comfort of his company as we enter our 20th year together.

All in all, a great Christmas.

No comments: