Sunday, February 18, 2007

Happy Lunar New Year

The LTR and I were near China town today and decided to go buy replacement Chinese soup spoons for the ones he had broken. Probably not a good day to do that, given it was the Chinese New Year. This was the scene in the store:















We happened to catch DC Mayorlicious Fenty giving a speech to the crowd assembled (which was mostly of European descent, like the cute guy in the foreground):















Fortunately the Mayor managed to avoid cliche by quoting Confucius.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I haven't been downtown for Chinese New Year in about 15 years, and I never paid much attention to it since, so I find it interesting that the flag in Fenty's backdrop is the Taiwanese flag with the US Flag. This is not a politcal commentary, but I suppose it was a Taiwan sponsored event in DC this year? I know almost all asian cultures share the same lunar new year, but I wonder if communist China also sponsors an event in the city as well or would you think that since mainland China views Taiwan as part of the country as a whole (a view I believe is not shared by the Taiwanese) that Taiwan represents them as well?

Anyway, I like how you let your readers know that the blame on the broken spoons on the LTR :)

Happy New Year and have some crispy skin roast pig (different from roast pork) soon!

Scott said...

I'm not sure who sponsored it and thanks for pointing out the flag. My guess is that Taiwan was used because the city didn't want to use the communist China flag.

Based on what I saw, I would not reccomend taking the time going as there didn't seem to be much to it.