Wednesday, February 28, 2007

The LTR and Me

This is the LTR and me. I've posted this picture here before, but it's my blog and if I choose to be narcissistic get over it (the very nature of blogging is narcissistic, I think. We bloggers post items about our opinions or lives thinking they have merit when mostly it's just noise. But I digress).

Anyway, this year we will have been together two decades. 20 years. And we actually still talk to each other. Someone close to me is losing the man she loves because he's leaving her and watching her heartache makes me realize all the more how lucky I am.

People sometimes ask "what's the secret?" I don't think there is one. I do think that love is not enough...that sometimes it comes down to making a choice to be together. And managing expectations is part of that. We've learned that although our relationship fulfills each other's basic needs it can't fill every single one. That knowledge takes a certain amount of pressure off the relationship. And, after 20 years, we repeatedly learn that communication is key and that good communication even between people who know each other intimately doesn't just happen. You have to make it happen.

Our relationship is not a perfect one. But it's a damn good one. Love you, honey.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your partner's cute. I'd do him in a heartbeat.

Scott said...

The anonymous commenter, I suspect, was actually the LTR in one of his rare moments of humility.

That said, there have been occasions in our 20 years together where I've wanted to tell him to go "do" himself.

Christopher Scott Sarno said...

How nice to see true love in all its glory.