Sunday, February 11, 2007

The Kid Likes Football

I posted last Sunday of my disdain for football, the Superbowl and other organized sports.

Unfortunately, it's not genetic. My son (all of two-and-a-half) was, according to his mother, mesmerized by the Superbowl. And not the commercials, because when they would come on he would cry, "More football! More football!"

Yes, it's cute, but...I can count on one hand the number of times I've thrown a football. I can't count on any hand the number of times the football went where I wanted it, because how do you count "zero?"

It's already hard enough with him growing up 7,000 miles away, how do I relate to him challenged by distance and divergent interests?

Ironic -- I felt inadequate as a kid because I didn't share my father's interests, now I feel inadequate because my son has interests I don't share. There should be a remedial course in catch for gay dads with sports-inspired sons.

But, it's not about me. I'm thrilled he's finding things in life (whatever they are) that catch his interest. I love seeing his personality blossom. I'll never forget the first time -- as a newborn -- he focused on me and his eyes locked on mine and we connected. Although, yes, I harbor fear of how our realtionship will develop, I also feel confident that we will share a unique bond.

And, while watching the football game he announced the action, saying, "two men running, men fall down, men push other men!"

Well, he's commenting on men. That's something I can relate to.

Here he is, watching the Superbowl. Pic courtesy of his mom.

No comments: