Friday, February 23, 2007

A Wyoming Republican Makes a Stand -- for Fairness to Gays

I wrote earlier of the vote in Wyoming to defeat a ban against recognizing same sex marriages from jurisdictions where they are legal. It failed due to the opposition of three straight Republicans, including the Speaker of the House.

One of them, Rep. Dan Zwonizter (that's him, at left), made an impassioned speech against it, knowing full well his pro-gay rights position may lose him his seat.

Think about that. How often I've heard my dyed-in-the-wool Demcrat gay friends make excuses for lacluster pro-gay rights action from major Democratic leaders because it would cost them votes.

I'll quote from Rep. Zwonizter in a minute. As you read his words consider this -- that leading gay activists won't even try to get gay marriage considered in the District of Columbia (even though the mayor and majority of the council support it) because they are too afraid to demand support from the DEMOCRATS who control Congress.

Also consider the words of Pam Spaulding of Pam's House Blend:

What makes Zwonitzer inspiring and so deserving of praise is that the risk he took, in Red State America, as a straight ally. He was willing to put his neck and political career on the line to do what is right -- he is a Republican doing so at a time when Democrats in much more favorable political environs are spineless, calculating and treating us like ATMs and pariahs as it suits them. [Emphasis hers]


Here, then is an excerpt of Zwonitzer's remarks. Full version is available from Pam or Michael Petrelis (a "no" vote is the pro-gay position):

It is wrong for one segment of society to restrict rights and freedoms from another segment of society. I believe many of you have had this conversation with your children.


And children have listened, my generation, the twenty-somethings, and those younger than I understand this message of tolerance. And in 20 years, when they take the reigns of this government and all governments, society will see this issue overturned, and people will wonder why it took so long...


...I echo Representative Childers concerns, that testifying against this bill may cost me my seat. I have two of my precinct committee persons behind me today who are in favor of this bill, as I stand here opposed, and I understand that I may very well lose my election. It cost 4 moderate Republican Senators in Kansas their election last year for standing up on this same issue. But I tell myself that there are some issues that are greater than me, and I believe this is one of them. And if standing up for equal rights costs me my seat so be it. I will let history be my judge, and I can go back to my constituents and say I stood up for basic rights. I will tell my children that when this debate went on, I stood up for basic rights for people.


I can debate the specifics of this bill back and forth as everyone in this room can, but I won’t because the overall theme is fairness, and you know it. I hope you will all let history be your judge with this vote. You all know in your hearts where this issue is going, that it will come to pass in the next 30 years. For that, I ask you to vote no today on the bill. Thank you.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

very inspiring.