Wednesday, February 07, 2007

Sanctity of Marriage Watch

Last Sunday's WaPo magazine included vignettes from Washingtonians about what makes life in the nation's capital so unique. Like fans at a Nationals game getting more worked up over spotting Alan Greenspan and wife Andrea Mitchell in their section than seeing Tommy Lasorda. And this one:

In the fall of 1995 , I used my recently acquired college degree to land a fabulously low-paying job for a public relations firm. The company specialized in planning events for corporations wanting to influence Capitol Hill decision makers. As employees, we were expected to make each interaction memorable and always put our guests first.

During one spectacular party, I was asked to chat with the invitees while they waited to receive their name tags. When a good-looking gentleman approached the line, I flashed a smile and said my obligatory welcome. We spoke a few moments, he received his name tag, and I went back to greeting and smiling, moving from guest to guest.

Later that evening, the gentleman pulled me aside and told me I had made quite an impression. He leaned in and whispered, "I look forward to hearing from you." Simultaneously, he slipped me his card, with a number handwritten on the back. I understood clearly the reason he wanted me to call. And being young, single and curious, I wanted to know more about this man I had so impressed. I looked into it. Turns out he was one of the wealthiest men in Congress, with a wife and three children.


My guess: He also probably voted for the Defense of Marriage Act.

No comments: