Friday, June 08, 2007

Friday Fashionista -- Old Clothes Need to Come Out of the Closet Too

The Friday series of fashion tips from Scott pal MattyDale continues.

Some trends pass faster than the blink of an eye while a great classic is something that will last and last. But let’s face it, there are too many of us who hold onto clothes WAY past their expiration date for no good reason. Sentimental value? BAH! And don’t hold onto something just because it cost too much! The point is, your wardrobe needs some “rotation and freshening.”


Something I have become much better about in the past few years is getting rid of items that I no longer wear. I used to hold onto things way too long. My thought was that, “this is a great basic, and it will never go out of style.” WRONG. A shirt that you may still have from college needs to go in the trash. Evaluate your wardrobe every six months. What have you not worn in that time period (that was fair game for the season) needs to be donated or thrown away if it is not in good condition.


Another habit I recommend is shopping for new items to refresh your wardrobe more often. Once a month is the frequency I have become comfortable with. And I am not talking about a huge spending spree. I budget for it so I am not dropping a lot of money all at one time. Find a few good pieces and use them to replace something else. And don’t skimp on the accessories (belts are often forgotten by men – and you DO need more than one). Often times, I will take out of the closest the number of items I just purchased and donate or launch them. It is a great way to avoid a bulging closet full of things you never wear – and prevent you from wearing things you no longer should wear!


The moral of the story is fashion evolves. Whether you like it or not, clothes are eventually disposable. You need to upgrade and evolve as well. Collars change. The amount of buttons on a blazer may go up or down. The fit and wash of jeans fluctuates. It’s inevitable. You don’t have to be a fashionista, but you should take the time to evaluate your clothes on a regular basis and do away with the old and bring in the new. And donate what you can. There are a lot of people who benefit from your donated items, and it is tax deductible for you!

1 comment:

Funlayo said...

TY for blogging this.
My female almost fahion-inclined self picked a few tips.