Friday, June 15, 2007

Shortbus, Soda Shop and Jay Brannan


Okay, ok, so the LTR and I are always behind in pop culture...Sex and the City was off the air before we ever watched it (and then we got everything on DVD to catch up). Same with Oz.

A couple of weeks ago we finally watched Shortbus.

And then watched it again for the next four evenings. Totally cool movie. On many levels. As a friend of mine recently said, "America needs to stop being so Puritan about sex." Amen. Though I think Shortbus is about a lot more than sex, one of my favorite characters is Ceth (with a "C") played by Jay Brannan (in a still from the film, upper right). His innocent hedonism I find very wholesome. In the movie, he sings a song, "Soda Shop," that the actor who plays him actually wrote. It's a cool song.

The actor, Jay Brannan, has posted many of his songs on YouTube, including "Soda Shop." It's below. There's about 2.5 minutes of commentary from Jay before he sings the song but if you haven't heard it it's worth the wait -- as it's typical of the earthy honesty that Shortbus is all about.

2 comments:

Cardinal said...

I haven't seen Shortbus yet, but I think I'd like it because John Cameron Mitchell is the writer, director and star. He is, of course, the brains behind one of my favorite musicals/rock-operas of all-time, Hedwig and the Angry Inch. If you haven't seen this or heard the music, please do. It's amazing.

Cardinal said...

And darn it, it's not 2:07 in the morning! I'm in bed by then. It's only a little after 10pm. Blogger's trying to make me look like a loser! :)