Monday, October 23, 2006

Jeb Alexander Landmarks

One of the fascinating (to me, anyway) things about reading Jeb's diary are his references to Washington landmarks. As I'm about the city, I try to look for things that he either mentioned or would have been here when he was.

One establishment he mentioned was a club called the Krazy Kat. On July 23, 1920, Jeb's brother "tried to persuade me to go with him to the Krazy Kat, a 'Bohemian' joint in an old stable up near Thomas Circle. He told me about the conversation in there, of artists, musicians, atheists, professors."

Well, the Krazy Kat is gone, but the building isn't and it's still a club that caters to the above, and other types. It's this place.

In the 1920s Jeb lived at the YMCA on 1736 G Street, NW. That block has been rebuilt since then, in a 1970s style of blandness on a grand scale. The address doesn't exist anymore, but here's a view of the Old Executive Office Building Jeb would have had standing on the sidewalk outside the Y:



And here is Lafayette Square, where Jeb passed so much of his time cruising. He refers in the diary to a favorite park bench under a large beech tree. The LTR and I looked for a Beech tree but couldn't find any. However, this large tree would surely have been there then and I imagine this is the view Jeb would have had from his bench:


2 comments:

cmg said...

Hey: Enjoyed your comments on Jeb Alexander. I'm reading the book now. Has anyone been able to figure out his real identity?

Brotherhoodworld.com said...

I contacted his neice via Facebook - she's now in her 70's, and was thrilled to learn I'd been gifted it by a friend who thought I'd like it. In turn, I passed it on to another friend, and he to another. We were all really touched by the book, and she was happy to learn her Uncle has an audience that loved and felt deeply for what he wrote.
You should look her up on Facebook - she'd be happy to hear form you.
I'm a cartoonist, and am thinking of adapting some of his more poignant entries to graphic form....
If ya want to check out my stuff, www.brotherhoodworld.com