Thursday, October 19, 2006

More from the Diary of Jeb Alexander

I'm posting excerpts from gay diarest Jeb Alexander, who lived in DC and chronicles gay life here in the 1920s-1940s. I call it "retro-blogging."

Saturday, 9 June 1923

I was determined to squeeze an adventure out of [Lafayette Square] tonight, and as it had only just gotten dark, I decided there would be no harm in wasting a few minutes with Randall [Jeb's former lover]. He settled in. "I've been observing your methods. You sit waiting for someone to start something. Well, you can sit a while. Then, if nothing happens, make a tour of the park. Find one that appeals to you. Then you sit down with him." He stood up. "Keep moving,"he intoned, "or you won't find one." I did stand up after he left. On my first tour I located a young boy who appealed to me, but I couldn't get up courage. Presently the boy left. I followed...I went on to the Willard [one of DC's oldest hotels, still extant] and thus lost him...

I finally came to an understanding with a well-dressed chap about thirty."
Plus que ca change, plus que c'est la meme chose.

The park, the benches and the paths in Lafayette Square are still there, the gays have moved on, though. Listen, you -- don't judge Alexander and his compatriots harshly for cruising in a park...there were no gay bars then and no "legitimate" venues for gay men to meet each other. At the time, in Alexandria, VA, across the river, it was even illegal to serve alcohol to homosexuals, a law that was still on the books when I first moved here in the late 80s.

Interesting, though, Randall's 83 year old cruising tips to Jeb are still current...they've just moved indoors into gay bars and the sauna at the Washington Sports Club.

French courtesy of the LTR.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Doesn't Jeb just make you want to smack him silly? He _could_ have written some novels. He had the talent. He seemed such a stick in the mud so often, I could see why his friends got exasperated with him. I alternately felt sorry for him and wanted to kick him in the ass. His friends were more interesting than he. In fact, the story in the diary that affected me most was the tragic relationship between Dash and Harry at school. That stayed in my mind when I'd forgotten all else I'd read.

Less exasperating is Donald Vining and tho his diaries aren't as lyrical, they have their interesting moments too. The first book of diaries is a bit boring, but the second is more interesting as he's older and leading a more interesting life.
If you haven't read Don's yet, I'd recommend skimming the first one and reading the second. I just ordered the third, since I want to see how the story keeps going on--it's an interesting perspective.

I have enjoyed reading your blog!