Tuesday, October 10, 2006

Life in the Nation's Capitol

I've lived here most of the last 20 years...one thing I've noticed is how everyone outside the Beltway assumes because you live in Washington you know what's really going on. Like Karl Rove calls you every morning before breakfast.

Truth be told, most Washingtonians get their news from cable TV, the Daily Show and Oprah just like the rest of America. Maybe we obsess over it a little more.

That said, there is something unique about living here. Politics is part of the air we breathe and this is a one company town and the corporate HQ has a big dome on top of it. How firmly this is a political city was driven home to me one morning when I walked past a homeless person who was yelling a rant at the top of his voice about the First Amendment. And as Scott's Take proves, any idiot with Internet access can put up a political blog.

So, to all my relatives who always say to me everytime they see me "So, are you fixing things in Washington?" I say, "Yeah, I'll get right on it. First, I'll tell GWB to fire Rummy, stop the torture and repeal the Patriot Act. And then we'll strike down DOMA, DADT and make same sex marriage legal." And that should shut my relatives up for good.

No comments: