Friday, October 06, 2006

Why Do they Call that Color "Pink?"

My singer/songwriter pal Justin Trawick has a song that fits today's cold, rainy skies in your nation's capitol. Here's the link to his site, find the audio player on the upper right hand side and click over to the song "The Rain." Sorry I can't link to it directly.

One thing I like about this song is the technique of changing the "mood" of the song without altering the music and lyrics...it's mostly done with the performance. Justin pulls that off nicely here after the transition of the repeated lyrics "...and the rain..."

One of the best examples of this is (sorry to use a showtune example, Justin) is in Jesus Christ Superstar, in Jesus' big "All I have to say" number in Act Two, the entire tenor of the show changes 2/3 of the way through the song on the words "What YOU started, I didn't start it." Nothing is the same after that, even though the music that follows is mostly material heard earlier in the show.

Cool.

1 comment:

justintrawick said...

hey man...playing in DC tomorrow night. Solly's on U and 11th. Show is at 8pm and is going to be big. I'd love for you to come.

~justin~