Friday, October 27, 2006

A Slap in the Face

This had me spitting my toast in my coffee this morning:

From Rich Galen's blog -- Rich is a Republican strategist and I actually know him:

On MSNBC yesterday morning, I made this approximate case:

If I were a Republican candidate for Congress I would immediately change my campaign to reflect the New Jersey decision.

I would say, "Connect the dots:

If the Democrats win control of the House, Nancy Pelosi will be the Speaker.

Nancy Pelosi is from where? San Francisco.

San Francisco is known for what? Two things: A song by Tony Bennett and being ground zero for Gay rights.

If you want Sister Boom-Boom to be the Clerk of the House, vote for the Democrat.

Okay, that's predictable. But then he goes on to say:

I know I will be accused of gay-bashing, but I am not. I am looking at this from a purely political standpoint.

I understand homosexuality exists and denying that is foolhardy. If we want to reduce the effects of HIV/AIDS on society, fostering long-term relationships - even homosexual relationships - would be one very good way to do it.

Okay, let me get this, uh, straight: You believe homosexuality is innate and that encouraging our relationships may be a good way to "reduce the effects of HIV/AIDS on society," i.e, SAVE LIVES, but you're going to scrap that for pure political partisanship? You acknowledge -- it seems -- that gays have a place in society but would deny them social tools to help them build rewarding, successful enduring relationships central to their happiness?

No, I'm not surprised to see a Republican be anti-gay. But I'm appalled at the open cyncism here -- the blatant hypocrisy, which is even acknowledged then excused for the sake of a "purely political standpoint."

This is blatant evidence of something Andrew Sullivan has been blogging about: GOP leaders are personally fine with gays but turn against us in public policy for political gains.

I would argue the Dems do it too -- they cozy up to us, get our money and our votes and attend HRC's galas, but turn around and give us Don't Ask Don't Tell and the Defense of Marriage Act. And WE excuse it, saying, they have to do that to get elected.

A pox on both their houses. But especially Rich Galen. I had once thought better of him.

No comments: