Monday, October 23, 2006

The LTR and I at Nemacolin

The LTR's company went on a business retreat at Nemacolin resort in PA and he and I went up a bit early. I spent Sat. there with him and came home last night.

The place was beautiful and we pampered ourselves with massage, sauna, steam room and Jacuzzi. And walks through the autumn-lit trees. And meals fit for a King -- a big, fat gluttonous King. There's much lighthearted to tell and I will get to it...but for now the amazing thing to me was that yesterday, when saying goodbye to the LTR, we both cried.

And we're only being separated for two nights.

Nearly 20 years on and we can be moved to tears because of a brief separation. I think this weekend -- the first in a while in which we could completely drop other agendas, relax and just be together -- gave us perspective and a chance to reflect on a quarter-lifetime of sharing dreams and disappointments, love and loss, the slipping away of youth and the glow of shared memories.

I'm reminded of this Walt Whitman verse, one that was recited at our Holy Union:

We two boys together clinging,
One the other never leaving,
Up and own the roads going, North and South excursions making...
Fulfilling our foray.

Here was the view from our room:



I promise my next post about Nemacolin won't be this sappy.

No comments: