Friday, January 04, 2008

Getting Obama

Robbie at Malcontent makes a move to Obama, after analyzing and rejecting the Republican field (except for Thompson):

For me, Obama’s that guy. He does not come with the bullshit baggage of the Baby Boomer culture wars. He’s even in disposition, capabale of lecturing black churches on their homophobia while telling the nutroots to take a hike. While watching him this evening, even I started feeling that slight tingle on the back of my neck that we are witnessing history. A potentially transforming history. Can a black man finally occupy the highest office in the land? What effect would this have on the psychological scars and wounds that currently make racial discourse in America almost completely unbearable? The possibilities suddenly become tantalizing.

If I cannot have Thompson to vote for on a policy level, then I’ll vote for Obama for these reasons and more. Fluff reasons? Perhaps, but has anyone actually looked at the other candidates running?


I don't agree with Obama on everything. But his vision for a united America, his call to be one people again and his desire to move past the politics of victimization and marginalization make him, in my view, the leader America needs.

No comments: