Friday, January 25, 2008

It's Official: I'm Old

As if the gray hair and declining eyesight aren't bad enough; a younger (gay) co-worker, after I made a reference to Bea Arthur, asked, you guessed it, "Who's..."

Speaking of gray hair, I was shaving earlier this week and saw what I thought was a stray thread on my chest. Wrong. It was a gray chest hair. And I found two more, much to my horror. The hair on my head has long been turning gray, and the argument could be made at least it can look distinguished. The same cannot be said of gray chest hair. I may start shaving.

Sigh. This was not a good week to feel young and beautiful.

4 comments:

Matty said...

Scott - I found a grey hair...

Matt - In the FOOD???

Scott - No! In my hair, down there!

Anonymous said...

How young is this guy? Was he not born in the US? How do you not know Bea Arthur?

Some of my friends (mid-20s, gay) are slightly obsessed with the Golden Girls. They've told me it is quite common among their friends. Hmm, now I'm beginning to think they just told me that to make themselves feel better...

Anonymous said...

Hey it could be worse; they could have known who Bea Arthur is and compared you to her!

As for the grey hairs; I had them start upon the crown of my head in high school and they have spread like a wild fire the last few years. It encouraged me to start trimming my chest and so forth and now they're becoming visible even with that. I've thought about shaving, but that's a lot of work and I hate to shave almost as much as I hate having facial hair.

What is one to do?

-C

Scott said...

I remember when the GGs were running on Saturday nights at 9 pm JR's on 17th street would broadcast the show live and the place would be packed and silent. The show was a bright spot the helped us laugh together in a dark time.