Friday, January 04, 2008

She Just Doesn't Get It

Noting that Obama won with overwhelming support of young people, Hillary, faster than you can say "pander," says:

I take responsibility for that. So I'm going to in the next five days do as much as I can to talk about my record in creating opportunities for young people.
There she goes again.

Absent a sincere national vision, which Obama has and Hillary doesn't, this is the recipe for the politics of division. It's why she came in third in Iowa. If the politicians divide us all into nothing but special interest groups it's no wonder we lose a national consensus.

Yes, I have my own "special interests" as a gay man and I DO care where each of the candidates come down on those issues. However, Obama makes me feel a part of a larger community. He elevates the conversation beyond my narrow provincial interests without making me feel he'll toss my issues overboard the minute it's politically inconvenient for him.

No comments: