Friday, January 18, 2008

Sliming Obama

Well, it worked for the Clinton campaign in New Hampshire, right? Distort the words Obama and attack him for what you said he said (or did) even though he really didn't say or do it.

Both Edwards and Hillary attacked him for saying good things about Reagan, twisting his words into an endorsement of Reagan's policies, which is not what he said.

And worse, attacking his 100% positive pro-choice record. The Obama campaign sent out an email today with this response to the distortions:

"From the beginning of this campaign, Barack has pledged to be open and
honest with the American people -- to tell us what we need to know, not just what we want to hear. That kind of honesty is at the core of our movement, because if we adopt Karl Rove campaign tactics of deception and fear, we're never going to change Washington and bring the country together to get things done.

Over the last few days, those same old tactics have come to Nevada.
Hillary Clinton has sent direct mail pieces to Nevadans distorting Barack's
position on Social Security.

She is on the radio deliberately confusing voters about his
long-standing opposition to Yucca Mountain.

She is on TV misleading people about his outspoken position against the
war in Iraq.

But perhaps most disturbing, Clinton has attacked Barack on his 100%
pro-choice record.

The tone of Senator Clinton's campaign has been so negative that even
her supporters are saying enough is enough. Lorna Brett, a former Clinton donor and president of Chicago National Organization for Women, had this to say about the tactics:

'I was disappointed that Hillary Clinton would launch misleading
attacks on Barack Obama and his unimpeachable record on a woman's right to choose. I have switched my support to Barack Obama because I know the truth. I cannot be a part of that kind of deceptive politics.'"

I have a feeling Hillary will win. It depresses me. Why? Because she will have won by deception and by playing to what divides us. Yes, I know that's how the game of politics is played...but in Obama I sense a politician who wants to change those rules.

I've posted on this blog before I became an Obama supporter that I longed for a leader who would, as Lincoln did, appeal to "the better angles of our nature." I think Obama is that leader. I just fear he will be destroyed by the clawing desperation of boundless ambtion.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Scott-- I found your blog through a search for bloggers interested in 'gay marriage'. I've been reading your posts for a little over a week now and we could not be more politically like-minded. Reading this post, however, I'm worried that The Clinton Machine is getting to you. DON'T GIVE UP HOPE! That's exactly what candidates like Clinton want us to do. They mean to break us down, to rip the seams of our momentum and our will to change. I have to believe, especially after the last 7 years, that we will see the change that Barack represents, the change we deserve, come to fruition. JUST DON'T GIVE UP!! Because YES, WE CAN!!

Jenn said...

I too found your blog through a friend of a friend and after reading the articles that describe the tactics you're referring to my immediate reaction was "politics as usual". Hillary talks about having the desire and the experience to "change" Washington, but then turns around and runs her campaign like every other pol before her. If she's this threatened now by Obama's message and vision, how the heck would she run the White House?
Obama all the way.

Scott said...

Thanks for the words of encouragement. I fear though that the moment has been lost. But I will continue to hope and advocate for Sen. Obama as long as he is running.