Sunday, January 27, 2008

The Golden Girls

Back in the day, on Saturday nights, crowds of gay men would gather at J.R.'s at 9 pm and laugh together at the Golden Girls. In the late 80s, when ACT UP was staging die-ins on the streets of New York and DC and scores of us were dying daily in hospitals and homes across America, there was little to come together and laugh about.

I'm not sure why the Golden Girls had such gay appeal. There is certainly a bit of Dorothy, Blanche and Rose in just about every gay man I know. And the show addressed gay issues with a deftness and grace long before Will and Grace addressed them through playing up stereotypes.

Here's a famous scene.

"The black is $1 extra."

Priceless.

2 comments:

Matty said...

OMG - I remember this one. Not trying to be a bitch about age, but I used to love watching these when I was in high school. I was such a stay at home geek back then! If I did not have a band competition or jazz band performance, I stayed in on Saturday nights (in the middle of now where PA - what else was there to do) and watched Golden Girls. And if I did, I taped episodes so I could watch it when I got home!

avogle said...

Hahaha! I love seeing other Golden Girls fans!

I think you might enjoy reading this: http://thisblogiseggsalady.blogspot.com/2008/03/travel-down-road-and-back-again-wont.html

It's a little analysis comparing the remaining presidential candidates with the Golden Girls. It's kind of insightful! :)