Saturday, May 19, 2007

A Bit of an Archaeological Find

Check it out, dawg (okay, I'm channeling Randy Jackson).

My house is a row house built in 1909. I've been told that when the houses were built they would construct them like one big warehouse then wall them off into separate houses, leaving passageways through the walls for the workers to walk though from house to house.

We uncovered evidence of this during demolition for our third floor remod in this photo...notice the wooden horizontal beam and how the bricks below it appear to be added after the rest of the wall. An identical pattern is found on the opposite wall.

Imagine -- 100 years ago workers walked through here as they built these houses. I think it's pretty cool. But that's just me.

1 comment:

Matty said...

That is so cool! The exposed brick is very handsome.