Tuesday, May 29, 2007

May 30

On this date, in 1964, yours truly was born.

That makes me 43, way past expiration in gay years. But dammit, I feel and look good. Why, just tonight, I ran into someone I haven't seen for a while and he said (God's honest truth he said exactly this), "Your face looks really good now!"

Anyway, these things also happened in '64:

  • Plans to build the twin World Trade Center Towers in NYC were announced
  • Barry Goldwater announces he will seek GOP nomination
  • The first Beatles album is released in the U.S.; they make their first U.S. tour and appear on the Ed Sullivan show
  • Malcolm X forms a black nationalist party
  • The Warren Commission reports that Lee Harvey Oswald acted alone; Jack Ruby is convicted of killing Oswald.
  • The Jeopardy game show debuts on TV
  • The first computer program written in BASIC debuts
  • Nelson Mandela is imprisoned in South Africa
  • Three civil rights workers are killed in Mississippi
  • Martin Luther King Jr. wins the Nobel Peace Prize
  • Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer Christmas special premieres on TV
Frankly, on my birthdays, I tend to feel a little down. I'm trying hard not to feel that way this year.

No comments: