Sunday, May 20, 2007

Immigration Reform for Gays

Chris Crain provides a concrete way for Democratic presidential candidates to show they mean it when they call for full equality for gays. Support the Uniting American Families Act (UAFA), which would allow citizens and legal residents in same-sex relationships to sponsor their partners for immigration purposes.

Crain reports only Dodd and Kucinich have signalled support for the bill. Hillary and Barak do not support it. As Crain says:

In her speeches on gay issues, Clinton talks about "equal rights" for gay couples, but support for UAFA would be a concrete way to put some leadership where her rhetoric is.

Ditto Obama.

But of course I don't expect much. Democrats will take our money and take our votes but they won't take a stand on our behalf. Not on things that really count. Not on legislation that treat gay relationships as equal to straight ones.

DC gay activist Rick Rosendall wrote in a recent Metroweekly column that we shouldn't expect leadership from politicians on controversial issues. Hmm...the Voting Rights Act of 1965 notwithstanding? I'm not quite so ready to throw in the towel...and if a politician tells me they support full gay equality, I expect them to mean it. I can accept a candidate who I may disagree with, but I won't tolerate hypocrisy.

No comments: