Monday, March 31, 2008

DC Ducks

I spent the afternoon yesterday with a friend amongst the tourists and cherry blossoms at the Tidal Basin. Tourist behavior is always interesting to watch, like seeing them break off branches of blossoms and carry them like bouquets or wear them behind their ears (note to visitors, this is not only morally wrong but it's a federal crime).

But the thing that perplexed me is all the photos the tourists were taking of ducks.

They don't have ducks in BFE?

I could understand it if the ducks were sitting on Abe Lincoln's lap in his memorial or taking a crap on the Constitution at the Archives ("Hey, mom, look, a Republican duck!").

But random pictures of ducks in water...I don't get it.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

They must be graduates from the University of Oregon. ;-) I guess it all depends on the view and composition. A crime was the first thing that came to mind when you were mentioning tourists breaking off the branches. Perhaps they should do some enforcing around this time of year. It's not like you'll find them looking to break branches in November, unless it's for a switch to discipline with.
;-)

Anonymous said...

Having lived in a tourist destination or two in my time, I find tourists an interesting subject of study as well. There is no logic to their actions and they seem to forget that we're there tear round and have to live with the ramifications of their momentary lapses of judgment.

I think a bumper sticker summed i t up best, "IF IT'S TOURIST SEASON, WHY CAN'T WE SHOOT THEM?"

Of course, that would burden the tax base I suppose.

-C

Cardinal said...

Taking a crap... Republican ducks... I love it.