Sunday, March 23, 2008

Don't Blink

This is my son riding his first bike, video courtesy of his mother.

The first thing that flashed through my mind when I saw this was the day of his birth and beholding that flailing, writhing pink, wet fleshy helpless thing for the first time. A blank human, unable to do anything but breathe, eat, cry, pee and poop.

Blink. He recognizes me for the first time. I could see it in his eyes one day changing his diaper. Blink. He laughs. Blink. He begins talking. Blink. He crawls. Blink. We're counting steps. Blink. He's running. Blink. His first bike. A few more blinks and he'll be driving, dating and doing things his dad could only dream of.

Don't Blink.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

He is a man on a mission, that's for sure!

Matty said...

He definitely looks like he is on a mission...