Wednesday, March 05, 2008

The Morning After

I got most of my depression about the primary in Ohio and the Caucamary in Texas out of my system yesterday. It was a gloomy day here and it matched my mood perfectly.

Today the sun is out and I'm actually feeling optimistic. About what, I'm not sure.

So, Hillary won the vote, if not the delegate count. Multiple analysts say it's highly unlikely she can win the delegate count. Of course, that also depends on Michigan and Florida. My guess is some way or other those states will send delegates to Denver. That could make the outcome very, very ugly.

My man Obama had a bad week. He botched NAFTA. He botched handling a tough presser. Every candidate stumbles. Let's hope Obama learns and moves on. He can do better. Yes, he can.

Two possible silver linings in a protracted battle with Hillary:

1) it will continue to toughen Obama up for the general
2) maybe, as has already started to happen, Hillary supporters will come to recognize the say anything/do anything to win at any cost machine that so many on the right have seen.

I'm not sanguine that will mean anything if the party tears itself apart in Denver, but hey -- I said I was feeling optimistic.

2 comments:

Jenn said...

Word on the street was that Repubs were voting for Hillary in TX because she'd be easier to beat than Obama in the general election. Have you heard this? Any merit? Personally, I wouldn't be surprised.

Scott said...

I have heard that as well and I'm sure it contributed, who knows how much. Andrew Sullivan is reporting on this on his blog.