Monday, July 16, 2007

Bear Facts

I've been referred to as a "bear." I don't identify as one. I do identify as gay -- why further compartmentalize my human identity?

Andrew Sullivan is into bears, identifies as one and celebrates bear-dom. Okay, whatever turns your crank. But what gives me paws pause is his insistence on holding bears as an exalted segment of the gay community. A rather typical, as I'm learning, Sullivan practice of exalting whatever activity or desire he himself likes.

For example, this from an article he wrote about bears for Salon:

Whence the name? Well, it's obvious in a way. They kinda look like bears. Big and burly and friendly, they are legions of Yogis, followed by quite a few Boo-boos. The smaller, younger ones tend to be known as "cubs." The more muscular ones go by the name of "muscle-bears." Some leaner types who aren't that hairy but enjoy the atmosphere that follows the bears are known as "otters."

Sullivan goes to hairy length to explain why all this is so much better than the gym-toned circut party boys and their focus on looks. Well, read Sullivan's passage again. Bears, according to him, are just as body-conscious.

I'm all for embracing my masculinity (fact is, I'm all for embracing masculinity, mine or otherwise)-- but why should that mean turning a hairy back on good hygiene, physical fitness and a nicely tailored shirt?

(The photo is of the bear flag, which is credited as being created by Craig Byrnes, who lives in my basement. Which he calls the "Bear Den.")

2 comments:

Matty said...

Having to sub-classify myself as a gay man is something that has always bothered me. Why should I have to? And further more, I am more than just gay. Why is it important when someone meets me that they need to ask - "Are you a top or a bottom?" Why is it so unbelieveable that people are stunned when I like and know so much about cars? We are all part of the same race - we just have differing tastes and styles. Can't we just leave it at that?

Cardinal said...

A close friend of mine hates to even be classified as gay. Gay and strait and bi all assume that there's a definitive niche every gay person fits in. And the same for straight people too. It's a spectrum.

I like football and I enjoy beer. So take that, gaydom!