Monday, July 23, 2007

Friday Fashionista -- On Monday

The weekly Friday column is appearing today because fashion plate Matty Dale didn't get it to me in time before I left for my backpacking trip. I sent him an email saying I wouldn't have time to post it and gave him access so he could post it himself. Alas, his employer's firewall, as with so many of my emails to him, blocked it. And thus you, dear readers, were denied for a few days MD's excellent fashion advice. Apologies to all.

Ta ta ta ta ta ta Touch Me!


One of my favorite guilt pleasures is the quest for tactile clothes – things that make me feel great and also feel great on me. And the bonus when it comes to tactile clothing is that it begs to be touched. In other words, people won’t be able to stop touching you, or at least what you are wearing!


When you are feeling special and would like some extra feel-good attire, here are a few suggestions. First and foremost, this is a time when it’s okay for it to be all about YOU. What feels good on your skin? Super soft natural fibers!!! Ultra soft cotton is a wonderful feeling. So is cashmere. I have found some super soft cotton items at Banana Republic; almost every time I wear one of these items, people ask if they can feel the fabric because it looks so soft, touchable and inviting.


Speaking of soft, touchable and inviting, there is a store I have been bragging about for quite some time now. My friends always ask whenever they see me, “Oh I like that – is it from Alex?” Alex Boutique has some amazing apparel for men (yes they have women’s clothes too, but this is all about the men). I have found some incredible items there – ranging from luscious, soft velvet jackets, luxuriously soft leather apparel, shirts made of fabric so soft, you’d swear it’s a sin, jeans that feel as if they are made of the softest denim known to mankind and of course the most amazing velvet pants that make my ass look unbelievable. It’s a dream come true, and the best part is that the clothes you will find there are from some more obscure designers, so aside from the fact that you are going to get glances and touches, not every queen in the Metro DC area will be sporting the same look as you.


Remember some basics when searching for lovely tactile clothing… make certain it fits properly… not too big, not too tight. Also, don’t overdo it – remember that you should look as though your selection was made effortlessly. Otherwise, you look as though you are trying too hard, and we don’t want that, do we? When you are ready to literally feel great in what you wear, you know where to find the Friday Fashionista. The lines are open for questions from callers now.

1 comment:

Cardinal said...

I love Rocky Horror Picture Show references.