Friday, July 27, 2007

First Name Basis?

So why do we call Hillary "Hillary" and not Sen. Clinton or Clinton while Barak Obama is Sen. Obama or just Obama?

Has Hillary reached the iconic pantheon level of Cher, Oprah, Madonna? What male politician has attained universal first name status? Maybe Arnold? Rudy may be edging up there, but not quite.

One could say maybe it's a sexist thing, but I don't think so. We don't refer in casual conversation or blogging to the Speaker of the House as Nancy. Nor do we refer to the two Barbara's (Mikulski and Boxer) by their first names. And it's not a power thing - no one sees Hillary as a shrinking violet. Feminist, maybe. Overly feminine, I don't think so.

Personally, Hillary is more pleasing to the ear than Clinton. As Obama is more pleasing than Barak, which sounds vaguely like something you would do to wood before you shellac it.

And right now I prefer saying Hillary to yet another name for her: President Clinton. I'm not ready to go there yet.

1 comment:

Cardinal said...

I beg to differ about Rudy. He's definitely one-name recognizable. I would also venture to say that Bobby brings to mind Mr. Kennedy.