Monday, July 30, 2007

The Next Generation -- Getting it Right on Gays

Here's a bit of cheery news to start a gloomy Monday -- an emerging trend of out gay athletes at the high school and collegiate level. And it's no big deal.

Example -- Lucas Goodman (pictured) came out to his high school rowing club. Here's what one of Goodman's teammates said about the possibility of bunking with him on the road (the team doubles up when traveling to save money:

"So what if I sleep in the same bed with a straight guy or with Lucas?" Casey Ellis asked. "Either way, there's going to be another guy there with me."


Wow. That's a statement not only about acceptance, but about two men being comfortable and secure in their own sexuality. That's curiously absent from the fuss over being in the same locker room with a gay guy that we heard about when former pro basketball player John Amaechi came out. Like this comment from another NBA player:

"As long as you don't bring your gayness on me I'm fine," Randolph said. "As far as business-wise, I'm sure I could play with him. But I think it would create a little awkwardness in the locker room."


I'm glad the next generation of athletes are more secure in their masculinity and sexuality than that.

Kudos to these young men and women. Read the whole story about Lucas and other gay athletes and their teammates.

No comments: