Tuesday, July 03, 2007

Support the Troops this Fourth of July

Support our troops. It's more than a bumper sticker slogan. Even if you want to bring the troops home there is something you can do for them right now, today. Go visit www.anysoldier.com. They will provide a list of contacts of men and women who are serving in harms way so you can write letters or send packages. These letters and packages are then distributed to service members who don't get any or much mail from home. One example of items sent through the program is candy...which the soldiers often give to Afghan or Iraqi children, as the soldier in the picture is doint.

I'm contacting a soldier from DC and sending a letter, at least as a starter. Here's what my contact posted today on the anysoldier site:

The 4th of July is around the corner, I sincerely hope you all will remember us as you enjoy your family’s togetherness. In 18 years of being in the military I have never seen as many families ruined, people displaced, suffering and anguish as I am seeing today. The troops are as dedicated to mission success as we have ever been but the war has taken tolls on people’s lives that you will rarely ever hear about...

...I have never been more honored to serve in such a capacity as with the US Military but as my time grows ever so close to retirement, my heart goes out to the ones who must endure the coming years.


So tomorrow, before I join my neighbors and friends in drinking beer, eating bbq and watching the fireworks, I'm going to sit down and right a letter. And tell some soldier who may not get any other mail that I appreciate his or her service and that we haven't forgotten them.

No comments: