Friday, July 13, 2007

Friday Fashionista -- Big Label Queens

The Friday Fashionista returns with his weekly column on fashion.

I will be the first to admit that I like nice things – clothing, shoes and accessories in particular. But one thing I just don’t get is the need to wear on your shirt, jeans, belt and/or shoes the label or logo as if it were a flashy neon sign. Understated style goes a long way.


Let’s clear there air here – I am not talking about adornment on your items. I love a little color, a nice design and some flair. However, the current trends for flash and look at me style are focused on larger than life branding. One recent example – take a look at all the queens running around with the gigantic polo logos on their shirts. It’s called “The Big Pony Collection.” It screams – “Look at me; I paid $100.00 for this polo shirt!”


Before any of you start in on my personal wardrobe and my expenses… yes – I tend to be extravagant from time to time with my clothing and accessory choices. However, I also believe that while the human mannequin is made to display fashion as living art, it is not meant to be a living billboard. I love items that have character or are tactile – it goes a long way. A fun print on your shirt or some nice texture makes people want to reach out and touch you. You become approachable and stylish all at the same time! And it is more subtle than the gigantic, pretentious logos screaming: PRADA!!! BOSS!!! POLO!!! I am not necessarily opposed to those brands – I am merely speaking out against blatant label worship.


The next time you are walking out, take a look in the floor length mirror and consider for a moment, do you look nicely put together and understated? Do you look at ease, like it was barely an effort, yet you still look like a million bucks? OR, do you look like a sign on the Vegas Strip that you know cost a lot, but still looks cheap and gaudy?

No comments: