Friday, July 27, 2007

Friday Fashionista

Today the Friday Fashionista gets on his high horse about athletic gear in the workplace.

Why has it become acceptable for men to wear athletic gear to work or social situations? Increasingly, I see men wearing Under Armour ® brand apparel in business casual environments and casual gatherings. Did I miss a memo about gym attire being integrated into office attire? Did my favorite local gay bar suddenly become the newest location for Results? Trust me when I say that Under Armour ® does not go seamlessly from day to evening wear.


I see co-workers wearing examples of the brand’s golf shirts to the office. I feel very strongly that these should be left for the golf course. If they are to be added to work situation, then you either need to work at the golf club, the store where these are sold, or on work trip to the country club with a client or colleagues.


Another example of the brand I see men wearing during business hours with nice trousers is the ultra tight shirt. Allow me to reiterate, this is for the gym or sports related activity. I had to bite my tongue a few days ago in an elevator with a man who wore one of these with his suit pants and wing tips.


I know that guys will say, but these are comfortable. Indeed they are. I have a few of their items – that I wear to the gym or while working around my house. Comfort does not equate to athletic wear. And when you consider the cost of the aforementioned gym apparel, there is no excuse for purchasing a similarly priced (if not less expensive) polo or T-shirt that is equally comfortable and much more appropriate for business casual or social gatherings.


It all goes back to consideration of where you are going and what is appropriate attire for the occasion. Not all offices have a strict dress policy, so this may be acceptable. And perhaps in social settings you are hanging out with members of the PGA. Whatever you do, be sensible and look at yourself in the full length mirror before you leave the house. If in doubt, call a friend for help.

No comments: