Tuesday, August 26, 2008

The Obama Family and the Democratic Response

From my vantage point inside the Pepsi Center tonight (I managed to score some credentials to get in) I thought Michelle gave a great speech. I thought the Obamas are clearly a (justifiably) proud and at its core a quintessentially American family. It's hard for me to not admire the Obamas, for their striving, their sacrifice, the value they place on family, their kids and community service. If I don't admire that, I would dishonor everything my parents taught me. That they hold the Obamas with contempt is a great mystery to me.

I thought the response was muted inside the hall. Granted, I was in the nosebleed section. But I compared notes with a colleague after who was closer to the stage and he felt the same way. The crowd seemed somehow unfocused.

Maybe it's the lack of oxygen at high altitude. Maybe they Jim Leach turned some of them into zombies. Or maybe it's always like that and it looks and sounds more exciting on TV.

I have pictures, which I'll post tomorrow if they turned out.

No comments: