Monday, August 18, 2008

Roof Tops

I like pictures of roof tops. I don't know why. I've always been drawn to them. Perhaps because we're so used to looking at our cities from the bottom up. Or perhaps they are some unconscious metaphor about how life looks different if you come at it from a different perspective. Or maybe it's just meaningless.

Anyway, I've been experimenting with taking my own photos of rooftops. Here's one from Harper's Ferry this weekend:

I like the different textures here, in the shingles, the brick and the stone wall. The perspective interests me as you have the roof in the far left so close to the ground. The three chimneys and the lampost make a rough arc. And the colors, with the red, green and white, are vivid.



Here's another, from Cusco, Peru. I like this one because the rooftops of Cusco are themselves framed by a roof-shaped window. The roofs stretch into the distance until they blend into the mountains, the roof of the world, if you will.

Anyway, this is all pretty silly, I guess. But beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

2 comments:

Matty said...

These are great photos! I also enjoy rooftop views. Some of my favorite rooftops are from NYC. You can see signs and water towers and plants and all sorts of things. The city scape is so interesting! Please share more!

Anonymous said...

Hi,

I sauntered in from earthling blues (I admit to spying on you before today, however) and I must comment on your idea of roof top photos..brilliant! I hope you have more to share. :)