Saturday, August 30, 2008

Silence

The house is quiet. Quiet in the way quiet is when there is no other soul around. An empty quiet. Curious how the silence of an empty house feels heavy. It's different than the serenity of a quiet house filled with other souls, a kind of warm presence of no sound. This is the absence of sound.

The LTR left for a family gathering in Ohio, taking our remaining dog. How rare for me to be at home without even hearing the scrape of a dog bowl or the sound of paws on clicking on the wood floor or even the mad bark at a trespassing squirrel in the backyard.

I'm leaving this quiet house for a while, to go to the gym, run some errands. My subconscious sent a routine thought to my mind: go pet Ranger before leaving.

But she too is quiet.

Fulsome sounds have fled the house and left starving my hungry ears.

No comments: